Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Confidence
Astrojewels Wrote:What do you get from doing art Karen? 

I'd say I don't "get" anything...I become a conduit of energies, images, colors, I suppose....I'll post the artwork and let it speak for itself.

Astrojewels Wrote:I am not talking about skills solely as I do believe skills and confidence do go hand in hand, and I do also truly believe that yes you can be taught skills, but to actually master them it must naturally be within, or you only become good/ordinary at it, and there must be passion and determination which accommodates the confidence.
Yes, that's why I think that some have more confidence than others, as you say naturally within.

Astrojewels Wrote:I do understand what you are saying about pretending to have skills but how does that reflect your confidence?
It doesn't. It's an adaptation for lack of having innate confidence, as some do.

Karen,

We are all different and I mean no bad intent, but I don’t really understand your reasons for doing art, yes I think it is a good idea to post your art so we can all have a look. Everyone has skills and it’s not always apparent, I do not believe you are skill-less, and I feel you are being a little hard on yourself.

Let me share- I love to write but my grammar is not that great, I was more into socializing that attending school, so anyway about 5 years ago I went back to school to learn grammar/editing and writing, but the teacher told me that I did not have what it takes to be a writer, so the natural skill for grammar is not there, but my love for putting thought to words is, and my audience is so totally different to my teachers ideas of the classic novel! so if I ever find the time to finish my half written books, I will just go to a  Ã¢â‚¬Ëœprofessional’ editor to fix my typos etc….and I know a few off hand, including DT, she is great with grammar.

Therefore I am confident with what I want to say, but no so with the grammar, so does skill come into this or confidence or just the passion to find like minded people? anyone?

Astrojewels Wrote:Karen,

We are all different and I mean no bad intent, but I don’t really understand your reasons for doing art, yes I think it is a good idea to post your art so we can all have a look. Everyone has skills and it’s not always apparent, I do not believe you are skill-less, and I feel you are being a little hard on yourself.
That's the point, I don't have reasons for it. I don't see it as having a skill.
I didn't say I was skillless, though...

Astrojewels Wrote:Let me share- I love to write but my grammar is not that great, I was more into socializing that attending school, so anyway about 5 years ago I went back to school to learn grammar/editing and writing, but the teacher told me that I did not have what it takes to be a writer, so the natural skill for grammar is not there, but my love for putting thought to words is, and my audience is so totally different to my teachers ideas of the classic novel! so if I ever find the time to finish my half written books, I will just go to a  Ã¢â‚¬Ëœprofessional’ editor to fix my typos etc….and I know a few off hand, including DT, she is great with grammar.

Therefore I am confident with what I want to say, but not so with the grammar, so does skill come into this or confidence or just the passion to find like minded people? anyone?
Some people have a knack for grammar/spelling...like some are great in math... Does that mean they are more confident? It depends on the individual temperament or personality. I'll share that in school I was excellent at grammar/spelling but it did not make me feel more confident. I just took it for granted that it was easy for me. 

You are right, AJ, about my not having confidence to let people or editors, etc. read my work, but I also can not say that I am "confident" about my writing, I just like to do it. I like to tell stories and see where they go. But that does not mean that everyone else wants to read what I say...at least in my eyes.

Karen...I, also, was very good in English classes. I just took to it as it was easy for me. I was spending my days in libraries since before I could spell. But you know, if you asked me today about adverbs, nouns, etc. I would be hard pressed to tell you what they are. I know how to use them properly, but I can not break it down as a teacher would. And I am terrible in math! LOL So I agree that it did not make me more confident...I also just took it for granted that I knew it. I did get horrible grades in handwriting, though, because I was left-handed and I did not write the way the teachers expected me to.

Thanks DT. I can't explain the technical terms of grammar etc. just know how to use 'em ;) and I loved to read as well. Still love to research. Handwriting? I scribble....sometimes can't read it myself.

I actually like my handwriting now, and most other people do to. I am so glad my mom didn't force me to turn right-handed. When she was a girl, the nun's would wack her hand with a ruler because she was born left-handed also, but they made her turn right-handed.

Ok so now I am confused ladies, and this topic is loosing track of its original thought! DT and Karen, you both have natural grammar skills, can I say skills? You have no reasons for doing art Karen? DT, you did not get good grades for a skill that was there but needed to be explored independently? But all of this does not provide confidence for either? And maybe that is what’s wrong with me DT, I was forced to go from a lefty to a righty….

Because I am getting mixed ideas here, please explain how or where confidence comes from….

Okay, let's see...in the dictionary, "confidence" is defined as: Trust, Reliance; Self-assurance, Boldness; a state of trust or intimacy; secret.

So, if I would break that down, I guess I have too much "confidence" in people, because I usually trust everyone first until they screw me over and I lose that trust. I don't have much self-assurance...I don't know if I could ever live by myself...I am not really "bold" but I can strike up a conversation with strangers.

So, where does that put me in the confidence department?

It seems self confidence may be an inborn trait that can be either nurtured or  destroyed depending on experience and circumstance.Self confidence can also be acquired and cultivated with determination, focus , effort,trial,  and positive reinforcement.

True self confidence seems to exude an inner centeredness or equilibrium. 

DT, translated as a secret is in-confidence or keeping confidence, yes/no? And if you do continually find yourself being let down, I would have say that is a lack of self-assurance and that can create a cycle.

I agree MN but that it is inborn in everyone! And is challenged throughout your entire life, especially between the ages of 9-18 yrs, yet you must find a point in life where you question yourself and not rely on others to build that confidence.