Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mithraic Mysteries
>>> ...Ulasney thinks he may have solved the puzzle. According to his theory, the cult’s central iconography is a star map. The bull Mithras kills in the tauroctony is actually the zodiac Taurus. By slaying Taurus, the god is therefore responsible for shifting the precession of the equinoxes. This cosmic movement was secret knowledge shared among indoctrinated members of the ancient cult during a time when the universe was still seen as a stagnant entity.

Even the namesake of the religion is shrouded in mystery. Ancient Romans believed Mithras was based on a Persian god, though most modern scholars have since debunked this theory. According to Ulansey, he’s actually Perseus, the Greek hero, hidden in a realm beyond the cosmos. But according to Michael Speidel, he’s actually Orion. Roger Beck argues viewers shouldn’t read the tauroctony as a star map, as there may not actually be a constellation to match Mithras.

Mithraism was originally understood as a “star cult” with strong ties to astrology and astrotheology. The zodiac symbols hint heavily at the cult’s connections with the celestial world, though what exactly those connections entailed is still a conundrum. As scholars seem to agree, cracking the code of the iconic tauroctony would likely reveal the core of the cult’s theology. But as of yet, it’s all still an educated guess.

The Mysteries were a secretive group, its members only fully welcomed after completing seven harrowing levels of initiation which have since been linked to the planets. According to a poem written by an ancient Roman poet named Proficentius, initiates were called syndexioi, which loosely translated from Latin means they had been “united by the handshake.” Meetings were, literally, underground operations. 

In the central tauroctony, found in a Mithraeum, Mithras pins the beast to the ground, one hand firmly clutching its nostrils, the other plunging a blade into its flesh. The man and slaughtered bovine are usually accompanied by an assortment of other creatures, typically a dog, scorpion, snake, and raven, as well stars and other figures from the zodiac. Sol (god of the Sun) and Luna (goddess of the Moon) are frequently present as well. <<<

Full Article + Images @ Atlas Obscura

This is conventional knowledge,and that tends to be quite boring because it leaves people eternally in the dark,so to speak.
Different peoples had different names for the same gods,godesses.

(11-16-2017, 10:14 AM)MC Wrote: This is conventional knowledge,and that tends to be quite boring because it leaves people eternally in the dark,so to speak.
Different peoples had different names for the same gods,godesses.

Boring? Never! At least, not if the reader cares to explore further...

"Different peoples had different names for the same gods,godesses." (MC) 
Indeed! But couldn't that be said to be 'conventional' knowledge, also..? 
However, I very much agree - there are multi-cultural elements within the MM, both ancient and eclectic in nature.

In terms of cosmic boundaries (the inclusion of Leontocephaline & Hecate, for instance) the MM incorporate a number of interesting concepts, icons and symbolisms - not at all boring and, although (due to lack of sources) there is some academic ignorance &/or disagreement concerning the exact meaning of such things, this is the Hyperspace Cafe, is it not? 

We have 4 elements/stations, 7 planetary energies (and grades of initiation) and an 8th gate..

1. Corax/Raven/Death - Mercury (Caduceus, small beaker)
2. Nymphus/Bride/Bee - Venus (oil lamp, diadem)
3. Miles/Soldier - Mars (lance, helmet, sling bag)
4. Leo/Lion - Jupiter (fire shovel, sistrum, thunderbolt)
5. Perses - Moon (sickle,  jambiya, crescent moon & star)
6. Heliodromus - Sun (torch, 7-rayed crown, whip)
7. Pater - Saturn (Phrygian cap, libation bowl, staff, sickle)

[Towards the end of the C4th CE, an 8th 'grade' was created : Chryfii / 'hidden ones')

An interesting source, as follows :

Zenobius the Sophist (2nd century A.D.) [=?]

A Greek sophist of the reign of Hadrian.  His collection of proverbs is partly extant.

Proverbia, book 5, 78 (in  Corpus paroemiographorum Graecorum vol. 1, p.151).  Quoted in Albert de Jong, Traditions of the Magi: Zoroastrianism in Greek and Latin literaturep.309:

Evander said that the gods who rule over everything are eight: Fire, Water, Earth, Heaven, Moon, Sun, Mithras, Night.

Not in Geden or Cumont.

Clauss p.70 n.84 also mentions literary evidence of syncretism of Mithras with the Orphic creator-god Phanes (no citation).  This refers to a similar list from Iranian sources appearing in Theon of Smyrna's Exposition of mathematical ideas useful for reading Plato, ch. 47 (from Exposition des connaissances mathematiques utiles pour la lecture de platonJ. Dupuis in 1892, p.173):

47.  The number eight which is the first cube composed of unity and seven. Some say that there are eight gods who are masters of the universe, and this is also what we see in the sayings of Orpheus:

By the creators of things ever immortal,
Fire and water, earth and heaven, moon,
And sun, the great Phanes and the dark night.

And Evander reports that in Egypt may be found on a column an inscription of King Saturn and Queen Rhea: “The most ancient of all, King Osiris, to the immortal gods, to the spirit, to heaven and earth, to night and day, to the father of all that is and all that will be, and to Love, souvenir of the magificence of his life.”  Timotheus also reports the proverb, “Eight is all, because the spheres of the world which rotate around the earth are eight.” And, as Erastothenes says,

“These eight spheres harmonise together in making their revolutions around the earth.”

The real basis for identification of Mithras and Phanes is some inscriptions...

Http://www.truthbeknown.com/mithra.htm
http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Phanes.html his name means "bring to light".

Everyone will be going in circles thinking there are a milion gods,but it's all one and the same here---->Lucifer.

(11-19-2017, 10:08 PM)MC Wrote: Http://www.truthbeknown.com/mithra.htm
http://www.theoi.com/Protogenos/Phanes.html   his name means "bring to light".

Everyone will be going in circles thinking there are a milion gods,but it's all one and the same here---->Lucifer.

[I would humbly disagree, as anyone with understanding of the concept &/or the academics (whether surfing or not) will not be going around in circles. I do not subscribe to the dumbing-down of humans in any way, shape or form…]

Thank you for the links - I am aware of the essence of Phanes and of the misconception regarding 'Mithras' being a ‘Pagan Christ’ 

(With respect, perhaps using the term ‘Lucifer’ can be highly problematic, given the number of people who understand this word to be the same as ‘Satan’ or ‘the devil’, for instance.)

How do you define the word ‘lucifer’ ?

I did not mean anything personally towards you,or what you understand it to be.I define Lucifer as the angel of light who wants to keep humanity in the darkness.People call everything satan or the devil,but there are many highly negative beings.

(11-20-2017, 07:49 AM)MC Wrote: I did not mean anything personally towards you,or what you understand it to be.I define Lucifer as the angel of light who wants to keep humanity in the darkness.People call everything satan or the devil,but there are many highly negative beings.

(Nothing taken personally. Does not all negativity [also] have but one source?)

My own understanding of 'Lucife'r is as the Hebraic metaphor : ‘Day star, son of the Dawn’ & the various deities in relation to Venus & that celestial object in itself, for instance. As for satan/the devil : as a generic term relating to the lower impulses - or as HaSatan, the allegorical character that makes an entrance in the Book of Job, for example…I am not averse to perceiving this essence as spiritual in nature.

However, your perception as Lucifer being ‘The angel of light who wants to keep humanity in the darkness...’ That is most interesting. Would it be possible for you to elaborate upon that statement? (For instance, what is an 'angel' in this regard)

A non physical being from the higher realms.Not the astral realm.

(11-21-2017, 08:00 PM)MC Wrote: A non physical being from the higher realms.Not the astral realm.

I see…

However,

Maybe, the true Luciferic shall not be revealed until the Christ Being becomes the true internal force within the individual…That is to say, Lucifer may be that which is required in order to trigger the next stage of human evolution.

I must respectfully disagree that the ‘Lucifer’ is an ‘angel’ that ‘wants to keep humanity in the darkness’. Luciferic beings may have retreated into the darkness, but only until such a time as the human soul has matured enough so as to be able to perceive once more with its higher ‘spiritual’ senses.

(It might be that these seven Mithraic levels correspond to the seven-fold being of human existence - that is, the subtle aspects that exist alongside a human’s physical presence. They might correspond also to the seven ages of civilisation…) 

When all is said and done, it may well be that the precious stone from the ‘crown of Lucifer’ is one and the same as that which became the ‘Holy Grail’…

(11-24-2017, 12:18 AM)Dawn Wrote:
(11-21-2017, 08:00 PM)MC Wrote: A non physical being from the higher realms.Not the astral realm.

I see…

However,

Maybe, the true Luciferic shall not be revealed until the Christ Being becomes the true internal force within the individual…That is to say, Lucifer may be that which is required in order to trigger the next stage of human evolution.

I must respectfully disagree that the ‘Lucifer’ is an ‘angel’ that ‘wants to keep humanity in the darkness’. Luciferic beings may have retreated into the darkness, but only until such a time as the human soul has matured enough so as to be able to perceive once more with its higher ‘spiritual’ senses.

(It might be that these seven Mithraic levels correspond to the seven-fold being of human existence - that is, the subtle aspects that exist alongside a human’s physical presence. They might correspond also to the seven ages of civilisation…) 

When all is said and done, it may well be that the precious stone from the ‘crown of Lucifer’ is one and the same as that which became the ‘Holy Grail’…

I wrote a response,and then it was entirely lost...and I'm too tired to write it again.Another day...